On this page are listed present and past projects that MTGS members have undertaken.
MTGS members are participating in the indexing of Tennessee county marriage records through the FamilySearch.org web site, so that the records can become searchable online. Using the FamilySearch Indexing software, you can download small 'batches' of images to index, right from the comfort of your own PC.
Learn how you can participate in this project by visiting the Indexing Projects page at FamilySearch.
FamilySearch Indexing also has other groups of records that you can help index. Take a look and find more projects that interest you!
Our 2014 Annual Seminar featured Paula Stuart-Warren, CG, FMGS, FUGA, presenting topics on WPA, school and railroad records, as well as methods for organizing your genealogical materials.
Our 2013 Annual Seminar featured four speakers:
- Chuck Sherrill, Tennessee State Librarian and Archivist, discussing Civil War Newspaper Research in the Digital Age
- Darla Brock, TSLA Manuscript Archivist, discussing Direct Federal Taxes and the Rebate Ledgers
- J. Mark Lowe, CG, FUGA, discussing Government Claims and Other Unusual Requests
- Jim Long, presenting a genealogical case study focusing on a Civil War regiment
In 2012, MTGS members participated in the nation-wide indexing of Immigration and Naturalization records, and also of the 1940 Census, through the FamilySearch.org web site. The complete census index, as well as the census itself, can be accessed free of charge on FamilySearch's 1940 census page.
Our 2012 Annual Seminar featured Pamela Boyer Sayre, CG, CGL, and Rick Sayre, CG, M. A., presenting topics on
- Google Earth for Genealogists
- Using Topographic and Other Maps
- Newspapers and Periodicals at the Library of Congress
Our 2011 Annual Seminar featured three speakers:
- Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASC, FNCS, FUGA, discussing Problem Solving in the Problem-Riddled Carolina Backcountry
- J. Mark Lowe, CG, FUGA, discussing Inheritance Laws and Estate Settlements in the Carolinas
- Chuck Sherrill, Tennessee State Librarian and Archivist, discussing Civil War records at the Tennessee State Library and Archives
Family Bible DVD
MTGS began a project in 2006 to digitally
photograph family Bible records, or copies thereof, from all
counties in Middle Tennessee. We established an outreach program of
visiting outlying county archives/libraries to make it easier for
people to bring their Bibles to us. An every-name index was prepared
for the nearly 250 Bibles listed, and a DVD was created in 2008.
Click here to open an index of the over 11,400 names contained on the DVD.
Click here to open the Order Form for this DVD.